Thursday, April 12, 2012

Striking the Balance

I recently spent a couple weeks in Africa and honestly loved just about every minute of it.  I wasn't there for hunting as what this blog has been purposed for, but I was there to spend time with Orphans.    Some of my hunting gear came along, in fact it was a testing ground for much of the new stuff that had been acquired.

The Molle Express from Kifaru was my carry on of choice and it served that purpose well.  We met our Visiting Orphans team in DC after a flight out from Salt Lake City before making the 14 hour flight the next day Addis Abeba, Ethiopia.  Our luggage had been checked all of the way to Rwanda and wouldn't do us much good at the airport.  So the Mollex was loaded up with my computer, clothes for 2 days, all the pertinent paperwork, and books as well as toiletries and legal first aid.
 
It must also be mentioned that to fit all of this in a Mollex it was necessary to attach an E&E and Claymore pouch.  Inside for organization purposes the clothing material was stuffed in a medium pod.   This proved to be more than enough space and to make the bag fit the necessary requirements for carry on cinching down was not a problem.

The flights and lay overs all went smoothly, and the gear performed exactly as planned.  First Aid as well as all of the stuff that was necessary to come along to all of the places we were spending time with Orphans made in intact.  With Nite Ize clips my bag stayed in relative security from pick pockets and truthfully I don't know if it every was challenged in that regard.

The plan is for this piece of gear to serve as an Every Day Carry for computer and such, and also function as my carry on for future trips.   I went a little more expensive because I knew Kifaru could handle the abuse and if it didn't they would do their best to fix it as soon as i got it to them.

The balance that this blog is about is, "How do I find that balance of where I would like to spend my money and where it can go to make a difference in the lives of those who can't speak for themselves?"  The book of James has challenged me on many occasions with these principles and I am finding that honestly I am going to have to do some extra work to support my habits as well as areas that I have been challenged to minister in.

My future bride and I have also talked about the possibility of adoption.  We don't know if it will be foreign adoption or here in the United States but regardless expensive.  There are ways of fundraising for these things and it is very likely that they will be employed when its time.  Regardless of that fact we live in relative certainty that we may have to give up some creature comforts to be a part of these children's lives.  For me this may mean some new gear will be foregone.

A young man at an Orphanage called Noel in Gisenyi Rwanda particularly challenged me.  He has dreams far beyond what society seems to have dealt him as an orphan and a desire to move beyond that title.  He recently talked to me on Facebook asking if I could possibly send him some automotive manuals.  His desire is to someday be a mechanic and has been given the opportunity to study that trade.

A simple sacrifice in my life of a little extra time spent working could make the difference in one person's life for the entirety of their career.  I currently have been given some PDF journals that could be on their way to him in May detailing auto mechanics but if that won't work I will need to spend $50.00 or so to send him some books.  Fifty dollars is what it would cost me roughly to fund a couple of small pieces of gear for new Kifaru stuff.

A little sacrifice on my part and I will be able to make a difference in the lives of people who will not be able to help themselves.  Sometimes my gear is going to have to wait, or take a little bit more saving before it can come home.  

The reality is though, the lives of people matter.  No matter what I refuse to miss the sanctity of life and will do my best to find a balance between needs, wants, and sacrifices I can make for voices that cannot be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment