Friday, March 23, 2012

TiGoat Vertex 5: Running Review


For this coming hunting season I have made some necessary upgrades to the gear set.  My Ledge Recluse tent that I was given two Christmases ago was nice, but had a major problem in cold weather.  It liked to let the wind in from the bottom, and wasn't nearly as tough as it needed to be to stand up to the elements I intend to throw at my shelter.

After doing some research, I settled on the floorless tipi style shelter.  I don't think I am done buying this style as I am going to need a bigger model than this 5, but that will be another blog.

My first attempt at meeting my solo/double shelter needs was the Paratarp from Kifaru.  I am sure some of you are giggling a little bit reading that I thought I could do double anything with the Para, but the measurements suggested I could when I bought one off of the Kifaru Forums.  One set up and it was pretty clear that it would have been a great shelter for solo trips, but it did not suit the dual purpose role.  

I had looked at TiGoat before, and they were on the short list  when a good deal came up for a Vertex 5, I jumped on it.   I hadn't found any negative reviews on it, but it doesn't appear they have the popularity of the Kifaru shelters.

My plan then for this blog is to do a running review through this summer into the fall for hunting season.   Today will be the first installment of likely many to come. 

I set up the 5 in the yard today and am very happy with what I see.  The instructions for set up were detailed enough, and accurate.  You start by staking down both loops at the door, and then the back loop.  Then the rear loop is staked down by stretching the 5 all the way across, then coming back roughly 2 feet from that point.  Then you stake out the opposite direction tightly getting it set up as a square on the ground.


The pole comes next, and I would highly suggest using a legitimate pole and not trekking poles.  You will see in the photos that this is a pretty tall shelter as compared to others that utilize trekking poles.  Tying two poles together just isn't going to cut it in some of the wind that we experience above 10k feet.

Also of note here is that I am not using the pole from TiGoat.  I am using the telescoping model from Seek Outside, and so far I haven't found any weakness.  The plan at the moment is a BCS next from the same company, so to save some cash later I bought the correct pole now, as it will work for both shelters.   When I buy the BCS this should cut roughly $140 off of the purchase price when placing the order, and it saved me $75.00 from TiGoat.  So roughly a $65.00 savings overall when you take the $75 from the $140.  I will do a write up on my plan for all 3 shelters I want soon, and look forward to comments.


Back to the TiGoat.  The install of the pole itself is pretty self explanatory, open the door, lift up the center of the tipi, put in the pole,  adjust the pole to get the correct height.  You will want to get it fairly tight, but not too tight.  I suppose this is that perfect pitch that everyone talks about with other tipis.


After that you simply pull the remaining stake out points to the desired spot.  This takes some practice to get it right, but is fairly easily done.  After a couple rounds with the Vertex 5 my preferences is that all of the tent appear as smooth as possible.  
Next up is the guy-outs.  The rear guy out should be the first to pulled, and you will quickly find out whether or not you placed the rear stake in the right spot.  This stake can be adjusted after the guy out is in place as well to get the desired angle on the pitch.  It took me a few tries to get it right. 
If you look at the bottom of this picture you can see that I didn't have it quite right in this picture.  Once I removed the lower stake, pulled it out an inch or two the pitch was then correct.

The side guy outs are a unique set up, but effective.  They are 3 loops along the main seam, which you run 1/4 inch tubing with loops sewn in the ends to create 3 larger loops.  On these you hook up a set up of 2 plastic hooks and simply hook them to all three loop points, and pull it tight.

The last thing to look at for an initial perspective is the inside of the shelter, where most of the time will be spent.
A factor that goes into just about every decision made in regard to my gear is the simple fact that the world is built for a man 6' tall.  For a guy who is 6'5" this can present many a problem.   The Vertex 5 has plenty of room for the taller than average human being from the door to the back end of the shelter.  For the picture above I was in the doorway of the shelter, if that helps give a little perspective.

Next weekend I am hoping to get out and sleep in it, and may even get a little ambitious and get the stove jack sewn in.  Send whatever questions you have my way.

















No comments:

Post a Comment