Friday, March 30, 2012

Cutting Weight- The Journey Here

I am taking a break  from the mule deer story to talk about my trip in general to become a more efficient  backpacker.  It's a learning process to say the least, and there are constantly new things to be taken in.  My hope is that I never get to the point where I feel like I don't have things to learn.  If I ever get to that point perhaps its time to hang up the boots and take up something else.

The trails that have been traveled since my first trip at 10 years old have provided me with experience, and the lessons learned have made me want the backcountry more and more.    I  had a 40lb pack frame that was a  borrowed from a local pawn shop that trip, colored in bright orange.  For 1994 it may not have been bad, but the memory even then was that it wasn't the most comfortable thing to wear.

Life has constantly been intertwined with my faith, and life in the church.  This trip was a youth group trip that my Dad was leading, and even though I was too young, Dad snuck me along.  Every person was loaded to the hilt with different cans of soup, water and other things that I simply look at and laugh now.  Even with the heavy load my bright orange pack was the first to arrive at our designated lake,

Several youth group trips later and I was the proud owner of my first Kelty frame pack when Santa proved to be very generous.  It was a sweet pack in my mind and served it's purpose very well all the way until I graduated from High School.  The Blue bag on the frame was removed several times and different variations were tried to make it more efficient.  In the end the pack proved capable, and kept me wanting to pack in farther and farther.

College proved to be a time where my hunting and backpacking were limited because lets face it, central Texas is not a great place to pursue those things.  Breaks from school were spent fishing in my home state, but often they fell on times of year when packing in wasn't an option and the resources for winter camping weren't there.  I read Mike Eastman's and David Long's books to pass some of those breaks, and it kept the motivation factor high.

Two trips in college home during Elk season proved to not be enough to satisfy the desire to be in the woods and graduation found me loaded and ready to be back in the Mountain West.  My first home after college was within a couple of hours of the mountains again and it was on.

One major problem, the stuff I was carrying in weighed too much, and again proved I had much to learn.  For this to change several mentalities needed to change.  The first and most important would be the perception of what is necessary to take on a backpack hunt.  The next is that heavy duty, i.e. heavy was always the best way to go.  I wasn't aware that there is such as thing as well built light stuff

A major culprit of excess weight was the Black's Creek Bounty Hunter, Mossback edition.  The pack was purchased fairly impulsively in 2007 to really start staying in for long periods of time.  I proudly brought all 12lbs of it home and started to put together all of the stuff I would need for the coming trip.   The pack seemed heavy duty and would eventually bring mentality number one to the forefront.

The first season consisted of packing in simply a tarp and my down sleeping bag  for shelter and I suppose it worked ok.  Early season archery it wasn't bad, but because it never got terribly cold I was never miserable without a pad.  It is somewhat amazing to me that I was never more miserable than I was, it honestly could have been worse.  I had the weight idea right in this "system," but comfort was not of much value.  Minimalist, yes, comfortable no.

By 2009 an Alps Mountaineering pad had found its way into my supply and I dug up an old tent from my parents shed.  Dad has a habit of buying every tent he sees when he goes to garage sales and it played into my favor.  The first tent was not that heavy, and truthfully served me well for a two seasons, but I needed an upgrade.  Ledge Recluse was an upgrade for a season but was still not as efficient for the later elk hunts that I typically go on.

Another area that needed an upgrade was the food department.  MRE's just don't cut it anymore.  Number one they are just plain too heavy.  Number two they are just not very good.  There are tricks out there to make them better, but truthfully it's still not very good.  Mountain Houses have become a staple of my back-country cuisine and will be for many years to come.  An even better upgrade that I am working through recipes is making my own freeze dried food, I am hoping the wife will like me using her kitchen for such adventures....

The Black's Creek needed to go, first and foremost it didn't fit correctly. Next comes the whopping 12lbs that are carried in the pack alone.  An upgrade to a Kifaru Longhunter Guide has now been completed and the pack weight has been cut in half, and the pack is big enough to produce shoulder lift.  Did I mention that it's fit is actually comfortable?

The pad has now been upgraded to a NeoAir by Thermarest and I can't complain in the least bit.  This season will prove it out as a viable pad and the hope is that many comfortable nights will be spent on it.

A TiGoat Vertex 5 now comes with me on solo and double trips and will serve that purpose quite well I believe.   Plenty of space for one, a little tight for 2, but doable, all in all a solid upgrade for a reasonable price.

More upgrades are coming, and this blog will be the place that I put my thoughts down on the value of each piece of equipment.



No comments:

Post a Comment